After careful consideration we have decided to reopen the Restore to the public. Our reason for closing the Restore last November was due to the surge in COVID cases in Central Vancouver Island. We believed that due to the susceptibility of community members, staff, and volunteers (over the age of 60), and the nature of how people shop at GIRO, it would be challenging for us to keep everyone safe.
GIRO is unlike any other shopping experience on the island. When people come to GIRO, they often want to hangout, browse, chat with old friends, make new friends, browse, leave for some lunch or a coffee, then come back to GIRO and browse some more, and so on……. We have as many as 20-30 regulars waiting outside the gate every Wednesday and Saturday morning, eager to get in the store and seek out new treasures. It is wonderful to witness this loyal enthusiasm, but it does create some additional challenges during a pandemic.
Consequently, after much deliberation, we will be enforcing new safety measures to keep you safe while you are shopping.
Please read them through carefully and respect these rules as they are in place not just for your safety, but for our staff and volunteers as well. We will continue to evaluate the COVID case numbers in this area and remain fluid in our assessment of whether we can continue to operate safely.
The Restore will re-open Wednesday, January 20th with shortened winter hours, 10-3pm Wednesday and Saturday. The following stricter safety measures will be put into effect.
- We will no longer be using the number system and will be asking folks to line up along the left side of the building, under cover and spaced 6 feet apart.
- We will be operating on a 1 person in 1 person out policy (maximum 8 people in the store), with a designated door person letting folks in and out and monitoring hand sanitizing and mask wearing as well as physical spacing.
- If anyone is displaying cold or flu symptoms or refuses to mask/sanitize they will be asked to leave the premises.
- Once in the store we ask that folks always wear a mask, physically distance and limit shopping to 20 minutes.
- We also want to remind folks that although GIRO is unique in being a social enterprise, considering the pandemic, we ask that you limit your social interactions in the store and on property.
- Folks will leave the store by the front door as we will have the exit blocked to allow a line up to form undercover. We will be monitoring the amount of people on premises and if we are at capacity, we will close the pedestrian gate and follow the 1 in 1 out rule on the gate as well.
Due to our closure in November, we have an abundance of clothing and housewares in store so we will not be accepting donations until Saturday January 30th.
We would also like to remind everyone it is respectful to the people accepting / processing donated items that they are clean, intact, and in working order. This makes everyone’s job easier and safer. GIRO runs on the generosity of its patrons, volunteers and staff so please do your part to reduce your consumption, reuse as much as you can and recycle or repurpose those things you are ready to part with.
Thank you for your continued support of our organization!
Michelle MacEwen and the GIRO team